The Alliance for the Prevention of Elder Abuse Western Australia (APEA:WA) is a high-level policy group coordinated by Advocare.
APEA:WA was established to support inter-agency collaboration to prevent elder abuse in Western Australia.
The objectives of the group are to:
- Raise awareness and understanding of Elder Abuse in Western Australia
- Facilitate Elder Abuse policy development in Western Australia
Since inception, APEA:WA has successfully:
- Raised awareness in WA of issues that surround elder abuse
- Influenced current attitudes, policies and practices
- Contributed to research
- Ensured collaborations and networking across agencies
- Involved State Ministers at meetings
APEA:WA member organisations meet bi-monthly to work on key actions within the strategic plan.
- Department of Communities
- The Department of Health
- The Department Planning, Lands and Heritage
- Disability Services Commission
- Legal Aid
- Office of the Chief Psychiatrist
- Office of Multicultural Interests, Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Interests
- Office of the Public Advocate
- Older People’s Rights Service
- Public Trustee
- WA Police
- The Western Australian Local Government Association