Most people want to live independently at home for as long as possible.
There are programs that provide a range of services so you receive the support you need to remain in your own home.
These services are provided by two programs:
- Commonwealth Home Support Program (previously the WA Home and Community Care or HACC)
- Home Care Packages Program
As a home care client you are entitled to receive flexible, timely and high quality services. You also have a right to expect privacy and confidentiality as well as be able to make decisions that suit you.
How we help you
We can assist if you are not happy with the assessment or services you receive. You may feel uncomfortable or apprehensive raising concerns with your provider or may just want to understand what your rights are. If you want to know about services available to you, or you are unsure how changing to a new program will affect you, you can contact Advocare for information and advice.
Our advocates can help you in a range of ways that suit your needs or your situation such as:
- Helping you understand your rights and what services are available to you
- Providing information and options for you to make informed decisions about the services you are receiving or want to receive
- Talking through ways you could deal with an issue
- Supporting you to resolve concerns with your home care services provider
- Speaking on your behalf
- Providing referrals to other services
Our services are free and confidential. We will work with you, by your side, every step of the way to help you resolve your issue.
If you speak a language other than English we can arrange assistance via the Translating and Interpreting Service.
Brian* had been successfully receiving help with his gardening via home care services for a few years. When his usual gardener Dave retired, Brian experienced issues with the new gardener who often turned up late. Not only was that inconvenient, but the situation caused Brian to miss several other appointments. Sometimes he couldn’t wait any longer and had to leave prior to the gardener arriving.
Brian spoke to Advocare to try to work out a solution. He was happy to raise the concern directly with the home care provider, but wanted to make sure he had all the right information beforehand. Advocare provided Brian with information about his service agreement, his rights as a consumer, and some tips on talking to the manager.
Brian called Advocare back the next day to let them know that the conversation with the provider had been a success, and the manager had personally agreed to make sure that his gardener arrived promptly in the future.
* All names on this website have been changed to protect privacy