Press 'ESCAPE' on your keyboard to immediately leave this website if you need to.

COVID-19 Updates

Click here for important information and updates about Advocare

When might I need an advocate?

  • When you want to understand your rights in Aged Care
  • When you are not consulted about decisions that affect your care
  • When you are not happy with the care you are receiving
  • When you need information about how to access aged care services either in your home or in residential aged care
  • When you have not received regular and clear information about the fees for your residential or homecare services
  • When family members or other people in a position of trust are pressuring you to make a decision about assets or care

I am not happy with an element of my home or residential aged care

If you’re not happy with an element of your home or residential aged care service, give us a call on 1800 655 566. One of our advocate’s listen to you, and explain the options available to you. They will also provide you with the information and support you need to achieve your desired outcome.


Is your service free?

All of Advocare’s services are free, confidential and client-directed.


The Commonwealth and State Governments provide funding for Advocare’s advocacy, information and education and for the Elder Abuse Helpline.


What is client-directed service?

All of Advocare’s services are client-directed. This means that, whilst we can provide general information to family members and friends, we only provide advocacy with the direct consent of the older person (or their appointed guardian).


We always agree the advocacy strategy in partnership with the older person, in most cases providing the information needed to successfully self-advocate.


If self-advocacy is not possible, we may advocate on an older persons behalf. We will only do this with the older persons (or their guardian’s) instruction and consent, whether they proceed with any course of action will always be their decision. Consent may be withdrawn at any time.


I can’t manage the cleaning, shopping or showering as well as I used to. Can I get some help at home?

If you are over 65 (or over 50 if you are Aboriginal or a Torres Strait islander), the Australian Government provides subsidised support for help according to your need for care.  The Commonwealth Home Support Program provides support with “activities of daily living” including cleaning; garden maintenance; shopping; personal care and social support.


Call us on 1800 655 566 if you would like to talk to an advocate about how to access this support.


My situation is very complex and difficult – I don’t want other people knowing all my details

Our service is confidential and we respect your privacy. If our advocates need to talk about your situation with other people (e.g. to help negotiate a solution), they will your always seek your permission and only share details if you agree and give permission.


How long will I have to wait to talk to an advocate?

The majority of our calls our answered directly by an advocate, so you won’t have to wait at all. In the event that all our lines are busy, an advocate will respond to messages left on our answering machine within one working day.


What are your normal office hours?

Advocare provides a non-emergency service during the hours of 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours you may get an answering machine. We will respond to messages left on our answering machine within one working day.


I rang the 1800 700 600 number and got a different service in another state

The 1800 700 600 is a national number organised through the national Older Person’s Advocacy Network (OPAN), of which we are the Western Australian member. The line is set up to go to the OPAN member in the state/territory from which the call is made.


So, for example, if a daughter or son living in South Australia tried to ring us about their parent who lives in Western Australia, then the call would finish up with OPAN’s South Australian member, the Aged Rights Advocacy Service. If you are calling from interstate about a Western Australian matter, please use our Western Australian number, (08) 9479 7566.


Will I have to come to your office in Victoria Park to meet an advocate?

You don’t have to see us in person. The majority of our services are provided via the telephone. However if you would like to talk to someone face-to-face, you can drop by our office in Victoria Park during business hours, Monday to Friday.


Can an advocate visit my Residential Aged Care Facility?

Our advocates regularly visit residential aged care facilities and other settings to provide community education sessions. In most cases it is possible to advocate for the older person via the telephone and without a visit to their home or residential aged care facility.


Will Advocare advocate for me even though I live in a remote community?

Yes. The majority of the advocacy and information we provide for people living in both metropolitan and regional, rural and remote Western Australia is via the telephone. Our advocates also visit remote and regional communities throughout Western Australia to provide community education sessions, information and advocacy.


What do I do if I need help outside the hours of your office hours?

Advocare is a non-emergency service. If you or anyone else is in danger, call 000.


If you need other out of hours assistance, call Crisis Care on 1800 199 008.


Can Advocare give me legal advice?

Our advocates cannot provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, we will provide you with a referral to a specialist community legal service.


Can you recommend a service provider?

Advocare is independent of service providers and government. To maintain our independence it is not possible to recommend individual service providers.


Contact us on 1800 655 566 if you would like us to provide you with information to be aware of and questions to ask when choosing a service provider.


Do you provide mediation or family counselling?

Advocare does not provide mediation or family counselling services, however give us a call  on 1800 655 566 and one of our advocates can provide you with details of agencies who provide these services.


How can I volunteer with Advocare?

Advocare has a team of volunteers who are a part of the national Community Visitors Scheme.


These volunteers visit older people in their own home or in a residential aged care facility and assist them by capturing stories and significant moments from their life. This may be done with photos written or spoken stories. After all, we all have a story to tell.


We ask that volunteers give a minimum of 2 hours per fortnight. You or the client may prefer a weekly visit, and we work with both the volunteer and the client to arrange a suitable time. All visits are scheduled between 8.30pm to 5.00pm Monday to Friday


If you would like to volunteer call us on 9479 7566 or email

The Perron Centre
Suite 4/61 Kitchener Avenue
Victoria Park WA 6100

Phone: 08 9479 7566
WA Elder Abuse Helpline: 1300 724 679
Country callers: 1800 655 566


Your donation will help us improve the lives of older people living in Western Australia.


Back to top button