Frequently Asked Questions

Main Content

When might I need an advocate?

  • When you want to understand your rights in aged care
  • When you are not consulted about decisions that affect your care
  • When you are not happy with the care you are receiving
  • When you need information about how to access aged care services either in your home or in a residential care service
  • When you have not received regular and clear information about the fees for your residential or home care services
  • When family members or other people in a position of trust are pressuring you to make a decision about assets or care.

I am not happy with an element of my home or residential aged care

If you are unhappy with an element of your home or residential aged care service, give us a call on 1800 655 566.

One of our advocate’s will listen to you and explain the options available to you. They will also provide you with the information and support you need to achieve your desired outcome.

Are the services provided by Advocare free?

All of Advocare’s services are free, confidential and client-directed.

The Commonwealth and State Governments provide funding for Advocare’s advocacy, information and education and for the WA Elder Abuse Helpline.

What is client-directed service?

All of Advocare’s services are client-directed. This means that, whilst we can provide general information to family members and friends, we only provide advocacy with the direct consent of the older person (or their appointed guardian).

We always plan and agree about the advocacy strategy in partnership with the older person, in most cases providing the information needed to successfully self-advocate.

If self-advocacy is not possible, we can advocate on an older person’s behalf. We will only do this with the older person’s (or their legal guardian’s) instruction and consent. Whether they proceed with any course of action will always be their decision. Consent can be withdrawn at any time.

I can’t manage the cleaning, shopping or showering as well as I used to. Can I get some help at home?

If you are over 65 (or over 50 if you are Aboriginal or a Torres Strait islander), the Australian Government provides subsidised support for help according to your need for care. The Commonwealth Home Support Program provides support with “activities of daily living” including basic cleaning; garden maintenance; shopping; personal care and social support.

Call us on 1800 655 566 if you would like to talk to an advocate about how to access this support.

My situation is very complex and difficult – I don’t want other people knowing all my details.

Our service is confidential and we respect your privacy.

If our advocates need to talk about your situation with other people (e.g. to help negotiate a solution), they will always seek your permission first, and only share details if you agree and give permission.

How long will I have to wait to talk to an advocate?

The majority of our calls our answered directly by an advocate, so you won’t have to wait at all.

In the event that all our lines are busy, an advocate will respond to any messages left on our answering machine within one working day.

What are your office hours?

Advocare provides a non-emergency service during the hours of 8.30am and 4.30pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these hours you may get an answering machine. We will respond to messages left on our answering machine within one working day. You can also email us at

Can I to come to your office in Victoria Park to meet an advocate?

The majority of our services are provided via the telephone. However, if you would like to talk to someone face-to-face, you can drop by our office in Victoria Park during business hours, Monday to Friday. Please call first to ensure an advocate is available to speak with you.

I rang the 1800 700 600 number and got a different service in another state.

The 1800 700 600 is a national number organised through the national Older Person’s Advocacy Network (OPAN), of which we are the Western Australian member. The line is set up to go to the OPAN member in the state/territory from which the call is made.

For example, if a daughter or son living in South Australia tried to ring us about their parent who lives in Western Australia, then the call would finish up with OPAN’s South Australian member, the Aged Rights Advocacy Service. If you are calling from interstate about a Western Australian matter, please use our Western Australian number on 1800 655 566.

Will Advocare advocate for me even though I live in a remote community?

Yes. The majority of the advocacy and information we provide for people living in both metropolitan and regional, rural and remote Western Australia is via the telephone. Our advocates also visit remote and regional communities throughout Western Australia to provide community education sessions, information and advocacy.

Can an advocate visit my residential aged care facility?

Our advocates regularly visit residential aged care facilities and other settings to provide community education sessions.

In most cases it is possible to advocate for the older person via the telephone and without a visit to their home or residential aged care facility.

What do I do if I need help outside the hours of your office hours?

Advocare is a non-emergency service. If you or anyone else is in danger, call 000.

If you need other out of hours assistance, call Crisis Care on 1800 199 008.

Can Advocare give me legal advice?

Our advocates cannot provide legal advice. If you need legal advice, we will provide you with a referral to a specialist community legal service.

Can you recommend a service provider?

Advocare is independent of service providers and other service organisations. To maintain our independence, it is not possible to recommend individual service providers.

Contact us on 1800 655 566 if you would like us to provide you with information to be aware of and questions to ask when choosing a service provider.

Do you provide mediation or family counselling?

Advocare does not provide mediation or family counselling services, however give us a call on 1800 655 566 and one of our experienced advocates can provide you with details of agencies who provide these services.

Does Advocare have a volunteer program?

Yes. Advocare provides a volunteer program, called the Community Visitors Scheme (CVS). The CVS program is a national program funded by the Australian Government.

Advocare’s CVS volunteers visit older people currently receiving, or eligible to receive, aged care services either in-home or in residential aged care facilities across the Perth Metropolitan area.

The CVS program aims to connect one-to-one volunteers with older people who are lonely or socially isolated, and whose quality of life would be improved by positive engagement and companionship.

To find out more about Advocare’s rewarding volunteering program please click here.